Sunday, March 9, 2008

B is for Basics

After reading this wondrous post 
by my fellow blogger Fashion Toast (see links), I was completely inspired to do a basics post of my own.  I really had to think about the things that I couldn't live without, and so here's a breakdown of what I need in sunny Southern California...

Denim...
Jeans are hand-in-hand with my identity, methinks.  I know that without these, I wouldn't know what to do every morning!  I tend to go for darker washes, but a couple of pairs (maybe 4 or so) are the ones that I wear on a regular rotation.
Clockwise, from lower left corner: Joe's Jeans, Lucky Brand, AE, AE, J.Crew, Anthropologie
Dresses...
Okay, well I am mildly obsessed with anything feminine, swingy, and breezy (ie..almost any dress).  I've collected them over the years and I rely on them for those days when I need to just throw something on and be ready to walk out the door.  Also, colors in this category are crucial.  I don't think I even own an LBD. Hm, I've gotta get on that.
From left: Anthro, Anthro, Anthro, F21, F21, Anthro, thrifted.
Note to Self: Maybe branch out from buying all dresses at Anthropologie!

American Apparel Hoodies...
I bought my first one of these when I came back from Europe this summer and realized that I was seriously low on basics.  The purple one was inducted into my closet and was quickly worn to shreds.  Then, I received two more for Christmas and haven't stopped the spree of wearing them...anywhere and everywhere.  They are admittedly a bit sloppy, but I mean, every once and a while that's needed (for me at least...)
All three, AA

Stripes...
I just don't think the world would be as happy without stripes.  Black and white, blue and white, brown and white, pink and grey, the list goes on and on.  Some say that stripes make a person look wider, but I think they, conversely, can really flaunt anyones shape! I can dig it, for sure.
From left to right: Urban, J.Crew, Target, Anthro, Urban, Urban.

V-Neck's...
I can't even wear crew necks anymore! I especially like my neck and collar-bone area anyway, so if there's a shirt especially made to flaunt it, I'm all for it!
the white one is Hanes, the rest AA

Scarves...
A key hipster staple, if I say so myself.  I just love giving an outfit that extra flair by wrapping a cozy pashmina or wrap around me.  They are, admittedly everywhere, but I don't mind, especially because I try and make them my own each time I wear them
From left: thrifted, J.Crew, thrifted, ebay.

Cardigans..!
I guess I'm just a sweater type of gal.  I know these colors in this photo are slightly neutral (minus the obvious), but the rest of my sweaters are being washed atm.  I enjoy bright colors as well as greys and blacks and tans, every kind of sweater under the sun.  I'm constantly on that hunt for the perfect sweater, so if you see any special ones...let me know!
Clockwise from top left: AA, Target, Lucky Brand, AA

Headbands...
ANYONE who knows me can vouch for the fact that I wear one of these every day, to any event, anywhere!  Mostly I can just use ribbons or a strip of fabric, but every once in a while I'll buy something actually designated to go around my head.  Without these, I feel like my general appearance would be so bland!
In this selection: H&M, AA, Anthro, Urban, Nordstrom.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THis was a very interesting post! I also think, there a some basic, every w´man should own. But unfortunately, I can't wear headbands, because it looks ridiculous with my curly hair...

PS: nice blog!^^

e said...

I love reading about everyone's basics! I definitely agree with the vneck thing. I wear them almost everyday to school. Ppl must think I'm gross. I also love jeans! College life doesn't seem right without em. I would have to add rainbow flipflops to my basics list :)

FASHION CHALET said...

What a great idea, reading this article actually inspired me to do some "basics" shopping. I am in need of plain whit tees and costume jewelry, like cocktail rings and shiny bracelets.. I also need a brown jacket! :)

Camilla said...

Love your basic post :)
Nice stuff!

Jillian Hobbs said...

I just made a basics post as well inspired by you, susie and rumi!

check it out if you like! i loved yours you're the reason i FINALLY made one!

Fruchtzwerg said...

I'm loving your AA Hoodies collection

WendyB said...

I must be the only person in the (blogging) world without a hoodie!